Pages

Thursday 9 June 2016

30 Days Wild | Day 9 - commute orchids

For day 9 of 30 Days Wild I checked in on some orchids growing by the canal towpath that I walk to work along. I first came across them during last year's 30 Days Wild so now I know they are there, I've been keeping my eye on them over the past few weeks and watching their progress. They've just started flowering within the last couple of days and are looking lovely! I think there is one Common Spotted and two Southern Marshes. The Southern Marshes are growing behind a somewhat unattractive fence so my photos aren't the best, but the orchids themselves are very attractive indeed. After I photographed them I continued along the towpath, hearing a Chiffchaff and a Whitethroat singing, and spotting one of the University of Birmingham Peregrines soaring overhead - hopefully they've got chicks up in the clock tower!


Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).
Southern Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza praetermissa).
Southern Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza praetermissa).
Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).
Southern Marsh Orchids (Dactylorhiza praetermissa).

No comments:

Post a Comment