Pages

Monday 6 June 2016

30 Days Wild | Day 5 - stroll in the sunshine

For day 5 of 30 Days Wild I went for a stroll in the early evening sunshine as a reward for having spent the afternoon having a bit of a clearout ahead of moving house. We live in Bournville, Birmingham (currently!) where we are spoilt with numerous lovely parks. Today I walked across Rowheath playing field and did a loop around an area of rough grassland, before heading back across to Rowheath Park where I checked out some more rough grassland before finishing off with a quick look at the pond.

Over both areas of grassland there were a lot of speedy orange flutterers; without my binoculars it was hard to tell what they were but I think probably Large Skipper. I also saw a Holly Blue at the edge of Rowheath playing field and Common Blue and Green-veined White in Rowheath Park. I spotted a couple of Stock Doves and some Swifts during my walk, as well as one solitary Greylag Goose among the Canadas by the pond, unusual around here.

Here are a few photos!

Rough grassland on Rowheath playing field.
Rough grassland in Rowheath Park.
Nice area in Rowheath Park.
Common Vetch (Vicia sativa) in Rowheath Park.
Yellow-rattle (Rhinanthus minor) in Rowheath Park.
Meadow Buttercup (Ranunculus acris) in Rowheath Park.
Solitary Greylag in Rowheath Park.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos. Always amazes me how green Birmingham is. From the first couple of photos, you'd never guess Rowheath is 5 miles form the centre of a huge city.

    That solo Greylag has been living with the Canada geese in Rowheath park for at least two years. None of them ever seem to leave, no matter what the season.

    Exciting to see and hear the Tawny Owl at the back of us last night. Makes me wonder what else might be lurking in Bournville.

    ReplyDelete