Pages

Thursday 2 June 2016

30 Days Wild | Day 2 - Identiplant scavenger hunt 2

Day 2 of 30 Days Wild, and my search for plants showing particular characteristics for my Identiplant assignment continues. Once again I went down to the canal towpath on my lunch break, and this time found a plant with palmately lobed leaves, and another with palmate leaves. Palmate in this context means multiple leaves or leaf veins spreading out from the top of the stalk. I couldn't get a Lupin leaf as it was growing behind a fence but hopefully you can see in the photo how the leaves spread out from a central point! The Mallow leaf has palmate veins, and its edges are lobed (and also toothed as it happens, but that wasn't a characteristic I was looking for on this occasion!).

Common Mallow (Malva sylvestris).

Garden Lupin (Lupin polyphyllus agg).

Common Mallow (Malva sylvestris) leaf - palmately lobed.

No comments:

Post a Comment